School Liaison Officer
Whether you are part of the Navy or some other branch of service, active duty or reservist, living on base or in the community, the SLO is here to ensure that your child has access to the full range of services available in the local public schools. In addition to providing information about local public schools, the SLO also works to assist families who choose educational alternatives such as homeschool, private or parochial schools, independent study, or online programs.
The local school district has worked diligently to assist military families as they transfer to this area. Local school administrators and/or office staff can answer most of your questions. The links to the local schools have been provided to assist you in making important decisions about your child's education. However, should you find that the information does not address an issue that is specific to your family, please do not hesitate to contact your SLO for assistance.
1145 Hercules Rd. Bld. 1145
Fort Worth, TX 76127
Phone: (817) 782.1873
Fax: (817) 782-3892
Office Hours: 0730 – 1600 or by appointment.
SCHOOL DISTRICT INFORMATION LINKS
Texas Education Agency (Data on Texas Schools)
OTHER SITES OF INTEREST & SCHOOL COMPARISON
SCHOOL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
- Birth certificate
- Report card
- TAKS or achievement test scores
- Current immunization records
- Student’s social security card
- Proof of residency
Parent or guardian must be present at registration and need to bring their driver’s license or another form of ID.
Social Security Numbers
The Texas Education Agency requests that each student have a social security number which will become his/her school identification number. Please have your student’s social security card available at registration.
Proof of Residency
- Texas law states that only minors whose parents/guardians reside within the boundaries of the school district are entitled to attend school in that district, unless approved for a transfer. Proof of residency must be provided each year at registration. Usual accepted proof of residency may be one or more of the following:
- Current utility bill indicating the service address and the parent/guardian’s name
- Current notarized and signed rental/lease agreement
- Current tax receipt indicating home ownership and current residency in the district
- Letter from a governmental agency with your current address
- Current contract on a house (provided that loan has been approved and signed by both buyer and seller)
- Current valid driver’s license (must not be expired) or Texas identification card
Texas Enrollment requirements:
- Must be four (4) years old as of September 1, 2010
- Qualify for Free/Reduced Lunch Program and/or
- Does not speak or comprehend the English language and/or
- Homeless as defined by 42 U.S.C.S. Section 11302 and/or
- Has been in the conservatorship of CPS as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code and/or
- Military dependent of active duty or who was injured or killed while serving on active duty in the armed forces
Texas Enrollment requirements:
Must be five (5) years old as of September 1, 2010
Texas Enrollment requirements for first grade:
- Must be six (6) years old as of September 1, 2010
House Bill (HB) 3, passed by the 81st Texas legislature,
includes changes to graduation requirements effective
Sept. 1, 2009.
English 4 credits, Mathematics 4 credits, Science 4 Credits, Social Studies 3 1/2 Credits, Economics 1/2 Credit, Foreign Language 2 Credits, (3 credits are needed for Distinguished Achievement Program Diploma and must occur in three levels of same language), Physical Education 1 Credit, 1/2 Credit from either of the following: Communication Applications or Professional Communications (CTE), Fine Arts 1 Credit, Elective Courses 4 credits (3 1/2 credits for Distinguished Achievement Program Diploma) and Technology Applications 1credit.
NAVAL INSTALLATION INFORMATION
NAS FORT WORTH JRB PROGRAMS:
Child and Youth Programs:
Child Development Center (CDC) (6 weeks-5 years) Hours: 0530 - 1830
Fleet and Family Support Center:
NAS FW JRB
Contact Info: 817.782.5287
EFMP - (Exceptional Family Member Program)
1711 Doolittle Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76127
SPECIAL EDUCATION ISD WEBSITES
https://wapave.org/– specialized training of military parents
Help for ADHD www.help4adhd.org
Operation Autism Online www.operationautismonline.org
EFMP NAS Fort Worth JRB - (817) 782-5912
The Installation School Liaison Officer can answer information about local special education questions. -817.782.1873
What are the best schools in the DFW area? The SLO can provide information to the parent so that the parent can make the best possible decision where to enroll their student(s).
We are PCSing in the middle of the school year and we are worried about new credit requirement from the receiving school. What do we do? Working with the SLO and the INTERSTATE COMPACT, we can hopefully come up with solutions that transitioning military students face. http://www.dodea.edu/Partnership/interstateCompact.cfm
The Dallas Fort Worth area is so big! Where should we look for housing? Again, the SLO will share information concerning the regions around the base to allow the parent to make the best decision for their family.
Is there a DOD school on base and if no what schools will my children go to if I live on post? No, there is not a DOD school on base. The Fort Worth ISD serves the base with bus transportation to Burton Hill Elementary, Stripling Middle School, and Arlington Heights High School. Other school options can be discussed with the SLO.
Are there summer programs sponsored by the base for my school age children in the summer and during school holidays? Yes. The Action Zone is staffed and offers summer and school holiday care for school age children. 817.782.7566.
Youth Sponsorship inquiries to be directed to the School Age Care Director at (817) 782-7572
HOME SCHOOL ONLINE INFORMATION
Online-Home School Info-
AFTER SCHOOL CARE FOR SCHOOL AGE STUDENTS
YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth
The schools are grouped according to YMCA branch. Click on the YMCA branch name for more information about their specific After School Child Care ...
MWR SAC (School Age Care) Program – 817.782.7566
TRANSITION DEPLOYMENT SUPPORT
Fleet and Family Support NAS FW JRB - 817.782.5287
POST SECONDARY PREPARATION
College Scholarship Info www.militaryscholar.org
Government Benefits https://www.benefits.gov/
Student Aid www.studentaid.ed.gov