The Story of NAS JRB Fort Worth
Quick Facts: Name and Command Changes through the Years
Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth was founded as Tarrant Field Airdrome in 1932, renamed Fort Worth Army Airfield in 1942, and renamed Griffiss Air Force Base in 1948. Then, from 1948 to 1993, the installation was named Carswell Air Force Base, named after Major Horace S. Carswell, Jr., a Medal of Honor Recipient and Texan. Even today, many people still refer to the base as Carswell in the area. Carswell closed as a full Air Force base on September 30, 1993, and closed as an Air Reserve base on September 30, 1994 before reopening under the US Navy on October 1, 1994 as "Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth."
In 1941, a Consolidated Aircraft factory was built on land adjacent to the field. The factory produced B-24 Liberator bombers. Today, that factory is called Lockheed Martin and is the manufacturer of the F-35 Lightning II.
As the aircraft factory rolled out new models over the years, the base’s overall mission had adapted. After WWII, the base became one of the few newly formed Strategic Air Command (SAC) bases. The bomb wings transitioned through a number of planes, including the B-36 Peacemaker, THE B-52 Stratofortress and the B-58 Hustler.
In 1991, the federal government issued its Base Realignment and Closure recommendations. Carswell AFB was among the bases on the list, and by September 1993, the base was closed. In October 1994, the base reopened as a Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, and numerous Navy Reserve, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Air National Guard commands were relocated to the facility.
Under the operational command of the Commander, Naval Installations Command (CNIC), NAS JRB Fort Worth is now a joint defense facility which plays a pivotal role in the training and equipping of air crews and aviation ground support personnel.
The installation is located within the City Limits of Fort Worth, Texas, approximately seven miles northwest of the downtown area. "Cowtown," as it is often called, is the fifth-largest city in the state of Texas and the 16th-largest in the United States. The city is also large in geographic area, covering almost 300 square miles. Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington, and the other surrounding cities, comprise the DFW Metroplex—the largest metropolitan area in North Texas.